Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Great Milk Debate

What do you think of when you see this?


 or this?




Maybe youre thinking "cows milk all the way"  or maybe "Soy is full of hormones"  or maybe "soy!  because cows milk is full of hormones!"

obviously, the list of possibilities is ridiculously long.  I am going to tell you my take on this (as it has been quite the debate on my birth board on babycenter)

Before the thought of cows or soy milk came along, I planned to breast feed my twin daughters exclusively.  Well, a plan is just that.  It only worked for about 3 months, and my milk dried up.  I did everything I could with no luck.  At ALL!  So I had to use formula, oh the dreaded formula :)  I actually learned to love it, because it kept my girls healthy.  However, we quickly learned that our sweet, sweet babies had a major lactose allergy.  This led to SOY formula.  it was a God send!  seriously yall!!  it was awesome.  They were happy, no more spitting up, no more upset tummies, happy, happy little girls.

Until the girls were 11 1/2 months old, and WIC told me to begin integration of whole milk in with their formula, to do a gradual switch.  Like an idiot, I listened, even though I knew the previous experience with milk based formula ended in awful diarrhea and rashes so bad we visited the doctor 4 yes, 4 times to get it cleared up.    So I did that and the next day, BAM awful rashes and diarrhea (I am so stupid, and never again will I go against my intincts as a mother)  So soy milk it is.  

As soon as I switched the girls to fully soy milk (On their 1st birthday :) all was right in the world.  They loved it, I love that they have no ill effects from it, and this is how it will remain.  Some might ask, "WHAT ABOUT THE HORMONES IN SOY??!!"  to which I will reply...

"Are you kidding me?  Unless you raise that dairy cow, feed it hay, grass, and grain, and you milk the cow and give that to your kid, you got some major hormone issues in your milk too"


Everyone is different, and everyone is entitled to their opinions (maybe they should blog about it :)!!!!)  but if you child is getting the nutrition they need, and are happy, functioning members of society, who cares what they drink?!  

Thats About it for this subject :)  So drink up, and raise a glass of milk (or soy milk!) to happy, healthy families!

No comments:

Post a Comment