Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bigger, not Cleaner

Keeping up on our new home isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Sure, bigger space means less clutter, but it sure doesn't mean less mess. My life has always been messy. I was the kid who hid everything under the bed,and considered that "cleaning my room" through the years, and once I was married at 18 years old, I had high hopes for myself that once we had our own home, that's when I would suddenly keep a perfect, beautiful house.....WRONG!

After we got married we lived with my parents until Nick went to basic training. Honestly, our bed took up most of the bedroom, so a mess wasn't really an issue at that point. We got our own house just before the holiday season and it was easy to keep clean! Maybe it was the size, or the lack of anything an established home would have, or the fact that 1. I wasn't pregnant with twins and 2. We had no children to spill their go go squeeze all over the carpet.

So I told you that to tell you this. Having more space, does NOT mean less mess! Not when you have two toddlers running around destroying everything in sight (though I must admit, they are so cute in the process!) I honestly feel like investing in a steam cleaner will pay for itself in a matter of month. I would love to be super organized, and know how to organize everything in its respectful place, and I try, but cheese and sprinkles its hard to keep up on!

Really I guess at the end of the day, the home doesn't make the family, the family makes the home. I am so proud of us and so proud of being homeowners at 21 years old, and we still have so much room to grow, maybe someday I will have everything figured out, maybe not!

How do you find the balance between family and keeping up with the daily grind?


1 comment:

  1. Dropping in from Mama Blog.

    I have to laugh about how more space doesn't equal less mess. I call us "flat surface people." In other words, if there's a flat surface, one of us will crap it up. So when we moved into our house, which is more than double the size of our old apartment things *looked* clean for a couple years until we started furnishing more (read: until people started buying our girls bigger toys). My solution is to periodically go through and get rid of whatever I can. I donate most of the girls' outgrown clothes through MomShare.org, and I have been weeding out toys to donate to a local toy swap. Baby steps.
    As for having everything figured out... I say that it's an overrated goal. By the time you figure out today's mysteries, there will be new ones to work out.

    ReplyDelete