Monday, December 5, 2011

Tales of Two Girls { A Guest Post }

The Fine Art of Manipulation

Hi, everyone! I’m Tessa, from over at Tales of Two Girls.  As the title of my blog shows, I am the momma to two adorably awesome little girls.  Kendall is 3 and Sydney is 18 months.  Needless to say, our house is never quiet…or dull!

Kendall, in her wise three years of age, has already seemed to master the art of manipulation.  The best part about it is, she has no idea she’s doing it.  The other night, the girls were having a sleepover at my parents.  There is a little crib set up in my old bedroom that has Micky Mouse bedding in it.  Kendall thinks it’s hers, and Lord help us if we try to put Sydney in it.  So the big kid has to sleep in the crib, which means a pack ‘n play needs to be brought along.
That night, they noticed Sydney was getting tired so my dad went to put her in bed.  Kendall chased after him to be sure that her little sister wasn’t getting her beloved resting place.  She then decided it was time for her to go to bed, too.  You know, in case her little sister got any ideas about trying to invade on Kendall’s domain.

She took a couple of books to read and hopped in. From the moment she went down, she was singing and chatting away.  My dad had gone in numerous times to tell her to quiet down, so she didn’t wake up her sister.  Finally, the last time he went in he said that if she didn’t quiet down a little, he’d have to take her book.  
Kendall’s response?  In her stoic little face, she replies, “Take it.”  My dad tried telling her that, no, she could keep it, but she just had to be quiet.  
Kendall: “No, take the book.”
Grandpa: “No, Kendall you can have it, just be quiet.”
Kendall: “Take it.”
Grandpa: “Kendall, why do you want me to take it from you?”
Kendall: “Because I have another book here.  When I read this one, you don’t come in the room to tell me to be quiet.”

Score 1 for Kendall.  She just outsmarted Grandpa.

The next day, while the girls were napping, I decided to get a jump start on wrapping the Christmas gifts.  Not 2 seconds after I had them under the tree, Kendall ran in and screeched, “Mommy!! Santa came!!!! Santa came and brought me presents!!!!”  Oh, crap.  I wasn’t expecting that.  I tried to explain that Santa didn’t come and these presents were not for her.  She was having a hard time comprehending this, and her little shoulders fell.  So, I did what any {sucker of a} mother would do.  I gave her a little present.  
Score 2 for Kendall.

Yes, in a matter of 24 hours, my lovely daughter has outsmarted 2 of us.  So, here is my advice to you if you find yourself in a similar predicament.  

Step 1: Turn around.
Step 2: Quickly try to walk away
Step 3: Break into laughter.

And, then of course blog about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment